• 20 pitted dates
• 3 cups water
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, simmer dates and water until dates start to soften, 15 to 20 minutes. Mash dates with potato masher or fork, then simmer for another 20 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and mash again until you have a date-water slurry.
- Place a thick cheesecloth in a mesh strainer and pour the slurry through. Squeeze the cheesecloth with your hands to get as much date juice through as possible. You should have a translucent, red-purple-brown date juice. (You can keep the date paste to sweeten smoothies or make bars, or discard into your compost bin.)
- Pour the translucent juice back into the saucepan and return to the stove. Simmer over low heat, stirring every 10 minutes, until it turns into a dark brown syrup, 40 to 45 minutes. You’ll know the syrup is done by placing a little drop on a cold plate, and seeing how runny it is.
- Store in an airtight container or freezer-safe container.”